January 13, 2013

joining my blanket

I have finally finished four squares of each colour combination.


I should start by saying that I normally don't like mitred square blankets when I see pictures around the interwebs. Many people make them end up looking like diamonds! But once I started making them I decided I liked how easy they were to make and how different they are from normal grannies. I mean, how many granny blankets does a person need?


It's time to start sewing them together, so I don't have a massive pile of tiny squares to sew together whenever I finish them all. The pile would be so overwhelming that it would probably take me another six months just to sew them together.

I debated about the best way to join them. Straight rows?


Some sort of expanding pattern?


Angled columns wins!




Now, how to join? I didn't like the edge this stitch made.


White yarn stood out WAY too much.


The colour of the end row was perfect.


After joining four squares I realized I wasn't following my angled pattern. Arg. Also, one square was backwards. I didn't notice that at the time, and in the final product two are reversed already. I'll have to start paying attention when I join!


All 32 squares joined! I've calculated that this swatch took approximately 23 hours of my life to crochet and join, not including mistakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment