June 22, 2013

another visit to the Baltic

My boy and I took a short vacation to the coast again this weekend. Rügen is a beautiful island we really enjoy visiting because it's so beautiful and quiet and a very nice escape from the city.
 This was our view during dinner.
 I had delicious schnitzel, jäger-style.

My boy had chicken and pasta.
We walked out to the pier after dinner and discovered you can see the water through the floor. I'm glad it was a calm day.
We could see our hotel from the pier, but it's not actually possible to get to the water from the hotel.
I got a new camera and tested out the zoom. Not bad considering I didn't have my tripod to try a longer exposure.
We went back to Jasmund National Park and it was cold and foggy that morning. It had been crazy hot in Berlin all week so we packed for hot summer weather and were not prepared for the cold and fog.
 View of the Königsstuhl from the Victoria Sicht.
 View of the Victoria Sicht from the Victoria Sicht.
We decided to walk the 2+km back to the car park instead of taking the bus. We did this last year as well and forgot how long it was. 2km isn't really that long but all of my photo stops really added to the travel time. It was interesting to see things that had changed, such as logs in the water that I remembered photographing.
Next we went to Prora and I walked in the water. I wasn't prepared with my bathing suit, nor did we have any towels, so I held up my skirt and waded as far as I could. It was lovely and crisp and I wish I could have actually gone swimming. It's probably best that I didn't though as I got a crazy sunburn on my back and arms from this walk on the beach. Damned dress!
The one problem was the occasional patches of seaweed. I don't like swimming in rocky beaches and I don't like being touched by seaweed in the water. This beach is sandy but seeweedy. The next beach we went to, where I really felt my skin burning, was all seeweed so we didn't go in the water at all. The third beach was all rocks so we ended up coming back here for an hour or so to sit in the shade and enjoy the evening beach before a quick walk in the water.
The next day we walked to the end of this pier. We didn't do it last time and I regretted that, so even though we were tired, we made the 2km walk. Near the beginning of the walk I took this photo and two hours later we were on the next boat! That was something totally unplanned, but another thing we can cross off our Rügen to-do list.
The lighthouse didn't seem to be getting closer at all and there was no shade the entire walk, which was okay on the way there, but the return trip really exhausted us, as is usually the case.
On the other side of the lighthouse the water kept splashing up - so much that the metal barrier had fallen off the pier!

On the boat. We sat on the starboard side, which meant that all the photos we took on the way to the chalk cliffs were though the heads of everyone else on the boat, but on the return trip we had an unobstructed view.
The lighthouse is visible at the far left of the picture. The pier starts at the white building on the right.
The Victoria Sicht on the left and Königsstuhl on the right. Last year we climbed down the beach.  There was no way I was going to do that again! 
 The viewing platform on the top of Victoria Sicht.

No comments:

Post a Comment