August 30, 2013

Pfingstberg

It was a nice day yesterday, so I finally decided to climb the Pfingstberg. I started my walk on the grounds of Schloss Cecilienhof, where the leaves in the water told me autumn is around the corner.



I like this little archway and debated walking around the lake to read for a bit, but then I noticed there were dozens of people who had already had the same thought. 

Dutch houses on the grounds.

 I love these trees with peeling bark. I have no idea what they are.

The walk to the Pfingstberg itself wasn't spectacular. It was a warm day, so the uphill climb was a little tiring. At a fork in the road I had the option between a cobbled path and a dirt path. I chose cobbled, which turned out to be the more direct and uphill option. 

At the top there was either no place to get a good photo of the Belvedere, I forgot to take one, or I was too lazy to search for a good spot. I can't remember which was the case. But I did take a bunch of photos of building details.




The red light at the bottom of the stairs warns if people are currently using the stairs, and the sign says to wait for the green light. I waited and started to climb but soon ran into THREE people coming down the stairs. The last guy asked me if the light was green and I told him yes, of course it was. When I climbed down the stairs at the end I discovered the light at the top wasn't working.


I did not choose the clearest day to climb to the best view over Potsdam.


I want to live here.

It looks like Berlin's TV tower in the distance here, but I can't be sure this was facing that direction, or that the tower would be visible from Potsdam.

I cut through the Waldpark, a part of the Volkspark, on the way to the tram stop, but this time I didn't pay the one euro entry fee. I decided since I was only using the path and not the basketball courts or anything else, my visit should be free! And speaking of basketball courts/art installations...

There were four of these paths, with green glass covering the entire pathway. Another art installation?

And a statue of Lenin, like every good East German park.

No comments:

Post a Comment