July 01, 2013

a pile of hexagons

The rainbow blanket requires careful placement of the six balls of wool while I'm working on it, so it's not suitable for travel. I can't keep track of all of those balls in a car without getting them knotted! So, I knew I needed a travel project. I bought some more alpaca yarn (Drops Lima this time) planning to use it to make a pattern of squares that meld from one colour to the next.

But, when the yarn arrived it was too thick for what I wanted. I love the yarn, but it wouldn't work for what I was planning. I spent quite a few hours making squares and hexagons and triangles with different needles and patterns, trying to find one I liked that would suit the yarn. I finally settled on a simple granny hexagon.

I love this wool and the hexagons. Since I bought the yarn in different quantities for each colour, so I'm not yet sure how I'm going to turn them into a blanket, or if I want to make half-hexagons to make it a proper rectangle, but I'm hoping things will get more clear when I finish with the dark green and have an idea how many hexagons I will be able to make in total.

No comments:

Post a Comment