July 24, 2013

the ferry to Kladow

I didn't wake up yesterday with the plan to cross one item partially off my summer to do list. There are six BVG ferries in Berlin, so I can't even cross this item off yet, but I can cross off the F10 ferry. Yay.

I had an errand to do in Potsdam and then I realized the tram and bus schedule was perfect to catch the hourly ferry with only 15 or 20 minutes to wait, so I had to go.
When I joined this line, I almost regretted the choice because it was so damn hot yesterday and I wasn't actually planning to spend time in the sun so I hadn't applied sunscreen and didn't have my blanket to lay down in a park.
 There was such a nice breeze on the 20 minute ferry ride that it was a perfect afternoon excursion.
 At a distance the water looks blue. Up close it looks brown.
 The approach to Kladow.
 The lilypad-surrounded, duck-filled inaccessible island across from Kladow.
There are always a ton of swans and other ducks at Kladow and they follow you around assuming you are there to bring them food.
Are these Canada geese? Wikipedia tells me there are some Canada geese in Germany, so I'm going to say yes, they are.
Just out of shot was a ten year old girl feeding the birds.When the swan stood up and stretched its neck, it was the same height as her. I stand by my statement that swans are pretty but scary.
After walking around the water for a bit I found a bench in the shade and spent some time reading before I caught the return ferry.
The Wannsee beach.  I'm pretty sure there is an entrance fee for all beaches like this in Berlin (and there are a ton), but I am debating visiting one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment