July 09, 2013

Sacrow

After spending most of four days inside, I decided I needed a busy outside day. I had noticed Schloss Sacrow on the map a little while ago and on Sunday I saw it on the VBB (Potsdam transit) map, so I decided to go. It took almost an hour to get there and even that was a close call as I nearly missed the last connection, a once an hour bus. There were only two other people on the bus with me, so I guess I understand why it runs so infrequently.


Schloss Sacrow. The term Schloss (palace/castle) basically covers any large residence, so I no longer get excited every time I see it on a map. To me, this is more of a country manor. Pretty, but not a fairytale palace.


The statue of Tusnelda. Upon entry to the park there were signs about a catepillar infestation that gives humans flu-like symptoms and advised to stay on the trails. This statue was in the middle of the park, far from the path and surrounded by tall grass. So, I took a zoom photo and stayed far away.


The water was actually quite far away from the path.


The Heilandskirche. Of course I went on Monday, and it's closed on Monday so I couldn't see the inside. Still, it's pretty and has a lovely location.



Text on the outside pillars. Are they still called pillars if they are rectangular?




The walls were covered in graffiti from past visitors. The earliest I saw was from 1911, but I didn't do a very thorough search but  there must be some from earlier since the church was completed in 1844. I was tempted to add my own name, but I didn't have a pencil or marker. Maybe on my next visit...



Every passing boat caused waves to ripple across the water, which looked pretty in this large patch of lilypads.


There were quite a few duck families on the grounds. I call all of these ducklings teenagers - not quite babies but still smaller than their parents. And still adorable.


I sat on a bench to rest for a few minutes and these guys got out of the water and made their way towards me. I had no food to give them so I stood up and walked away when they got too close. Those beaks can be scary close up!


I had about 50 minutes to wait for the Wassertaxi, so I walked the 'panoramaweg' to the end of the little bit of land. The path was between cottages (or maybe houses) and the harbour. Everyone had tables and chairs set up on the water and I'm sure it's a lively, friendly place on the weekend. It was luckily quiet when I was there, except for a couple of young girls playing badminton.


The walk was pretty, but the 'panorama' at the end? Not quite worth it. A view of the Pfaueninsel, which I visited last summer.



The road leading up to the Wassertaxi stop is the Berliner Mauerweg, which follows the line of the Berlin Wall. Two years ago I walked part of it in Spandau, and it's really nice that they include stories of the people that died trying to cross over to the west. Both of these people died in the water - one by freezing and one by drowning. I've always wondered what it was like to be one side of the water and see freedom on the other side. It's not a long distance across so I'm sure a lot of people tried - and that the defenses were probably strong to act as a deterrent.


I caught the Wassertaxi back to the Hauptbahnhof, spending 50 minutes passing the major water sights of Potsdam. It's a really convenient way to travel in this water-filled city. I noticed a ton of tour boats on the water, from many different companies. I think I need to ride a few more before the summer is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment