July 14, 2013

the Baltic, again...

It was my boy's birthday this weekend, so even though we are poor right now, we took another one night trip to the Baltic, this time near the Darß-Zingst Peninsula. The plan was to actually go there on Saturday, but we regularly change our plans, so we didn't.

I failed to remember to take photos of a lot of things this trip. For example, we rented a BMW, since it's his birthday and he's a guy and likes cars, but I forgot to take a photo.

As we are in Germany, for large stretches of road the Autobahn has no speed limit. I like speed limits and safety and arriving safely at my destination, so generally prefer we don't exceed 140. But, I think we went as fast as 240 this weekend. Let's just say that made me a nervous passenger. Especially when I was napping and woke up to the roar of the engine as it went past 220.


This was our hotel. We came up to this tiny town last year, because I like to choose points on maps and drive to them to see what they are. The beach faces east, so it was also an option if we managed to wake up to see the sunrise. The sunrise yesterday was at 4:55, so there was no way we would be able to wake up in time. Last year it was probably at 6:30 and we still didn't make it up in time.


The weather was gorgeous and perfect all weekend.



These spikes had clearly come from the water.


This picture was taken from the water. This beach was small and sandy and wonderful. Maybe the best point was that there were only seven or eight other people on it. I don't like busy beaches.


My skirt was long, so I had to knot it so my hands were free to take photos. As this beach was sandy I wanted to go swimming. However, it was also seeweedy, which I don't like. In fact, at the point where I was in the water knee-deep there was almost a barrier of seeweed across the entire beach that just prevented me from passing. Others went in, and it seemed like they had fun. But I've learned that Germans don't mind swimming in dirty, brown, rocky, seeweedy water. I like clear, sandy water. So, I'm still on the hunt for the right beach.


Some of the aforementioned seaweed.


I took some long-exposure shots from our hotel window, well after sunset.



And one of the stars, none of which were visible to the naked eye.


My boy noticed some duck prints in the water. These were probably swan prints because the water was mid-calf at this point, and these prints were quite big.


Someone clearly turned the seaweed into a nice pile. I don't think this could happen naturally...


 I gasped aloud and scrambled for my camera when I saw this family of swan babies!!!
 


A statue of cranes outside the hotel. Cranes are big in this area of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, and we saw some last year, but I don't think we saw any this year.

After this we decided to go to Karl's Erlebnishof, which is a big strawberry-filled adventure land. We painted ceramics last year, so we had to do some again. We each painted a coffee cup and a bowl. And I forgot to take photos... But they'll arrive in the mail in about two weeks, at which point I will take enough to make up for my mistake.

We also bought two 2-kg baskets of strawberries. The container is too big to fit in my tiny fridge, so it's currently sitting on my table as I debate turning them into jam or syrup or just eating them fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment